The Dublin 15 Community Council was founded in 1992 as an umbrella organisation for the many resident and voluntary community groups in the Dublin 15 area. We are a committee of volunteers from all areas of Dublin 15, working with the common aim of improving the quality of life for the residents of Dublin 15. We enable and empower constituent groups to lobby for their specific objectives and community building efforts.
Our main objective is the maintenance of a strong representation to the Local Authorities, State and other Statutory Bodies in order that we may influence and convey the consensus views of the Dublin 15 community in matters relating to Planning & Development, Transport, Education, Crime Prevention, Health, Community infrastructure (including recreational and leisure facilities), Heritage and many more.
Examples of our successes to date:
- Development of a significant level of expertise on Planning & Development and Transportation matters. Our successes have ranged from cases with An Bord Pleanala and Fingal County Council, to the adoption of many of our suggestions / initiatives into policy affecting Planning & Development and Transport.
- The provision of additional transport links serving Dublin 15, including the upgrade of the Maynooth/City Centre rail line.
- Facilitating and supporting the formation of primary and secondary schools in Dublin 15 and the establishment of the Institute of Technology Blanchardstown.
- The upgrade of the Connolly Hospital, Blanchardstown.
- Proposed and lobbied for Draiocht, Arts Centre at the Blanchardstown Town Centre, where Green Properties provided the site, Fingal County Council designed the building and the Department of Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht and local voluntary effort funded the building.
- The start up of 92.5 Phoenix FM radio station, where the community council is represented on the Board of Management.
- Regular submissions to local and national bodies concerning a wide range of issues which impact on individuals and their communities- see Submissions section.
- Effective representation of the Community’s interests on the various representative bodies to which we are attached.
In addition to the above achievements, the Community Council is represented on the Blanchardstown Area Partnership, Fingal Community & Voluntary Forum, Fingal Environmental Network, Fingal County Council Strategic Planning Committees, 92.5 Phoenix FM and the Liffey Valley Advisory Committee.
Some of our current objectives are:
- Our ‘prime’ objective for the past five years has been raising awareness of need to address the critical shortage of both primary and secondary school sites in the wider area and working with all stakeholders to ensure that the necessary schools are delivered in a timely manner We welcome the significant improvements announced in 2012 and look forward to the construction of new school places.
- To ensure that holistic sustainable development policies are implemented with regard to creating community led planning and to encourage our other stake holders to move away from ‘developer led’ planning and development.
- To encourage investment in public transport, which will include local and commuter bus routes, together with a high frequency rail service to and from the city centre, which will accommodates intermodal changes at Broombridge, the City Centre and Docklands.
- To encourage support for long term transport infrastructure improvements that builds on the plans of Metro West, Metro North and the interconnector tunnel (DART underground), while realizing that economic conditions will delay implementation.
- To work with environmental groups to ensure the people of Dublin 15 have access to affordable transport in an era of peak and declining fossil fuels.
- To ensure that an equitable and effective regulatory environment is established for residents who are currently members of management companies, and to discourage the use of management companies to manage non apartment estates/complexes.
- Our Planning, Transport and Education sub-committees constantly monitor developments in their individual sphere of responsibility, insisting on the highest standards at all times.
Our Planning, Transport and Education sub-committees constantly monitor developments in their individual sphere of responsibility, insisting on the highest standards at all times.